Saturday, October 23, 2010

Inspiration

As Jess already mentioned, we had a student share his experience with cancer to the class. It was really fitting because it was something that reminded us about the reality of all the things we have been learning. It's not something intangible that we study, but rather something we live. It's awesome to see someone get through the adversity and be able to inspire those around him. One thing that astounded me was after he had spoke many of the students came up to him to shake his hand.

I tried to follow this up with a speech of my own during my breakout section. I really was hoping that it could hit home the story that Clay, the student, had told. I remember when I first was watching the video and heard him speak there was a rampant avalanche of ideas that popped into my head.

First, I thought to myself, "Hey, that's the problem with socio-biology!" And I told my students this in a very serious way. I told them that the implications of the way we think can affect our perceptions and actions in the world. If we did adhere to something so outrageous as socio-biology, then the logical outcome would be that someone like Clay could not determine the purpose in his life. By definition, he would be defective. But we know this is not the case because he is living + walking proof of it.

A little bit after, I wrote on Tashina's paper "agency." And what came to my mind was how I was going to tell these students about agency and the whole existentialist talk about finding meaning throughout the absurdity of life. So I told my students that beyond the class, we need to find out what is important in our lives. From the people we love to the decisions we choose to make. And I implored them to take a stand.

Finally, again I wrote on Tashina's paper "individualism." I reminded myself to think about both sides of the coin. That we must be careful not to confuse agency with individualism. The fact that Clay had the will and desire to choose not to give up is an aspiring testimony. But I thought to myself we also have to go above and beyond. We have to not only take a stand, but fight for our humanity. We have to stop the structures that oppress oneself and others. I explained this by using the analogy of a cage (not cave =P). If we somehow find a way to break free and find meaning, we must also come back and free the others who are also trapped. Then we have to destroy the cages that oppress us! Well at least that's how it made sense in my head.

To refer back to the example Choi used in class: If we are fortunate enough to have "good health care (quotes in mind)," we cannot forget that somewhere else at that exact same moment someone is also dieing because of the lack of "health care." From someone being turned down because they don't have the proper coverage to someone not having an infrastructure of "health care" at all. And that those who are not as fortunate are still someone's brother, sister, mother, father, daughter, son, friend, etc. And this is WHY I pleaded that we must fight for a world where we can be dignified human beings. As Choi says: there is no alternative!

Finally, to end my whole shpeel I told them my annoted/"slightly" altered/more optimistic take on Nietzsche's "ubermensch." I told them that it translated to the word "superman." But to be fair I used the terms "superman, superwoman, and super-human being." I told them just like Choi always tells me: that we don't need superheroes because we are the super heroes...each and every one of us has the power to find meaning and change the world. Then I looked at them and said whenever someone tells you that you can't change things...just point to yourself because YOU are the change. Then to shrug off the semi-serious + awkard stares at me I reminded them not to look at me or Choi for the answers because Choi might kick the bucket (joking of course) and that I may be a chronic alcholic (joking again of course).

So in summation, this whole shpeel was an amazing experience because it reminded why I am doing this in the first place. And it gives me a reason to wake up every morning to fight the good fight despite the odds being stacked against us.

1 comment:

  1. this brought me almost to tears Chris. I'm glad you are writing so much and I whole-heartedly agree with everything you are saying!!

    ReplyDelete