Sunday, October 24, 2010

Providing an anti-banking system space

In my last class I asked my students how they think the class was going and if I could get some feedback on things they wanted more or less of, if they felt prepared, etc. I got some really supportive comments that just made my week. I know that having a class that doesn't conform to the banking method of teaching is something that will benefit all involved; yet it is always nice to hear the students actually say that they get something out of it. I was worried that perhaps some students took advantage of the way the class was structured to just check out altogether because they weren't being quizzed on what we were talking about. But I felt really good hearing that the students enjoyed having discussions every class on what they were interested in and wanted to talk about. One girl told me that she enjoyed how "animated" I was (which I think might be code for insanely talkative and high on caffeine most days...). She said that she had never had a professor who seemed to be actually passionate about their subject. That was so sad to hear. I really cringe at the fact that professors are being encouraged to pretty much ignore the teaching aspect of their jobs and put publishing and research at the highest priority. I just keep thinking...whoever is reading academic journals are not going to benefit as much from their research as their students would from just a little more effort in the classroom to engage them...I feel like we've lost sight of what a university was designed for in the first place. I'm just glad to know that the other TAs and I are giving students a place to be themselves and speak freely about the things they're passionate about. They don't have to constantly try to say what we want to hear or memorize what we say in class. They can relax and focus more on thinking critically and creatively in a comfortable and open environment. I put pressure on myself to create epiphanies for my students and just blow their minds in class...but I need to remember that it is enough for now just to provide them with a class that is different, that doesn't restrict them or pressure them to conform...We are all making change by resisting the pressure to be agents of the banking system of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment